Without the best roller, you may find yourself leaving streaks and uneven surfaces of satin paint on your wall as you try to paint across your house. With this in mind, it is important for you to know the features that contribute to a high-quality and efficient roller so that you are able to easily pick out one that serves you appropriately.
Satin-finish paint comes as either oil-based or acrylic/latex paint that you can use for the exterior or interior painting of your house. To achieve a uniform finish on your walls, you need to pick out a roller that has a sturdy and durable frame with knit roller covers. This is because knit roller covers have the ability to pick up and release large amounts of paint than roller covers with woven fabrics. They are improved with a looped backing that has a single- pass through that allows for maximum absorption of satin paint.
In this article, we will look at the best rollers for satin paint and give you a short guide on how you can apply satin paint correctly on your wall using the roller that you purchase.
A comparison table
GlobMarble Wooster BR045 Big Ben Roller Frame– the best roller for covering large areas
- For 18 Inch roller covers with 1 1/2 Inch standard or 2 1/4 Inch jumbo Diameter and can be used with all nap heights
- Lightweight yet strong polypropylene construction
- Quickly install or remove the roller cover no hardware to adjust no tools required
- Reinforced threads and is Sherlock GT compatible
- Uses R085 replacement legs which are made of fiberglass reinforced nylon and either R087 or R088 endcaps.
- Made with polypropylene durable material
- Fits 18 inches roller covers
- Works for all paint types
- Sherlock GT compatible
It is lightweight so you don’t have to worry about getting tired when using it. Also, it is compatible with all extension poles including the Sherlock GT pole that you would use for no-twist painting and other threaded extension handles. Also, it holds your roller covers in place so you are assured of a smooth finish on your walls and ceilings.
- It covers a large area in a short period of time
- It is easy to clean
- It is rust-free
- It has plastic clips that are fragile
- It is not adjustable
The GlobMarble Wooster BR045 Big Ben roller frame would work best for you if you are looking for a roller frame to cover large areas like walls and ceilings with satin paint.
Wagner Spraytech 05300100 Powered Roller– multi-use electrically powered roller for faster painting
- INNOVATIVE PAINT ROLLER: The Wagner SMART Sidekick Roller is a direct-feed paint roller system that pulls paint directly from a 1 or 5 gallon container, providing productive drip-free, non-stop painting
- GREAT FOR LARGE ROOMS AND MULTI ROOMS: This electric paint roller is a great alternative to traditional rollers and paint trays. It’s great for painting large areas like big rooms, multi-rooms and two story areas
- CONTINUOUS PAINTING: The roller allows for continuous, non-stop painting thanks to the auto-feed control on the handle
- PORTABLE: The lightweight, portable design makes it easy to carry the Sidekick from room to room as you paint your home
- LONG REACH: The 16 ft. hose provides long reach to paint tall walls or ceilings, plus there is an optional extension pole connection for even longer reach
- Powered roller
- Fits 9-inch roller covers
- Comes with both brushes and roller covers
- Has a paint reservoir that hold 1-5 gallons of satin paint
- Has a 16 ft. hose that feeds it paint
It is easy to clean and install which makes it more convenient to use. Aside from that, it has been designed to work well with satin paint and it comes with a set of brushes and roller covers which is a comprehensive package that reduces your costs.
- It helps cover a large area within a short period of time
- It has an auto feed control mechanism that allows for continuous painting
- It is easy to clean up
- It has a quick release handle
- Its valves block with paint over time
The Wagner Spraytech 05300100 Powered roller is a less time consuming option when you want to paint and would work well for you if you are doing a satin paint job in large rooms or homes with multiple rooms.
Wooster Brush R017 Sherlock Roller Frame
- Wooster brush with 9 inch sherlock roller frame
- Quick release spring prevents roller slippage yet allows easy one rap removal
- Smooth rolling internal bearings eliminate shank wear and gray streaks
- Durable green fiberglass reinforced nylon cage and endcaps
- Chrome plated 5/16 inch shank with a 90 degree angle
- It has smooth internal bearings
- Fits 9-inch roller covers
- It comes with a threaded handle
- It has a quick release spring
It has a quick release spring that allows you to easily remove your roller covers by tapping onto the sink on the roller frame. It also has smooth bearings which makes it easier for you to operate the roller when painting. This roller frame comes with a threaded handle that allows you to fir in an extension place to increase your reach as you paint towards the ceiling.
- It has a strong wired cage which prevent slipping of roller covers
- It comes with a threaded handle to support extension poles
- It has smooth bearings for easy rolling
- It is easy to remove roller covers through one tap
- It makes a lot of squeaking noises while painting
- It does not come with roller covers
If you are looking for a durable roller to fir your 9 inch roller covers and is compatible with all extension poles including the Sherlock GT, you would be impressed by the efficiency of the Wooster Brush R017 Roller frame.
ALAZCO Paint Roller Set– suitable for refilling corners, edges and small areas
- 12 Mini 3" ALAZCO Paint Roller Refill Covers
- 3" Mini Size Covers, Perfect for painting trims, corners, edges, window frames and smaller areas
- Innovative blend of polyethylene fibers woven in a unique interlocking pattern for extra paint absorbtion
- Highly shed resistant, unique density, matte resistance & low splatter; solvent resistant core
- Super smooth free-spin action works fast with less elbow grease. Comfort Grip - Non-Slip Handle
- It comes with 1 roller frame and three roller covers
- It fits 3-inch roller covers
- It is Shed resistant
It has been optimized with polyethylene fibers that have been woven into an interlocking pattern that allows it to absorb extra satin paint when you are painting. It has a solvent resistant core and it works with a smooth free-spin action that saves your energy while painting. It has a non-slip handle that keeps the roller covers in place as you enjoy a comfortable grip while painting.
- It helps you cover hard access areas like corners and edges of your walls
- Its roller covers are woven for maximum absorption of satin paint
- It is easy to use and clean
- Only works for interior walls
- Does not have a quick spring release
When painting your house with satin paint, there are times when your 9-inch or 18-inch roller may not reach the corners and the edges. This is where the ALAZCO paint roller set comes in.
HomeRight PaintStick EZ-Twist C800952 roller – suitable for painting homes with high walls
- HOMERIGHT PAINT ROLLER: Painting your walls and ceilings has never been easier. Unlike traditional paint rollers, the EZ-Twist paint rollers provide 64 inches of reach to make your home pop with color with no drips or mess
- EASY PAINT ROLLER: The new and improved PaintStick EZ-Twist is the perfect upgrade to the original PaintStick. Painting a room can be daunting, but the EZ-Twist easily allows you to paint an 8’ x 8’ wall in 1 minute and reduces the stress of painting your home
- TWISTABLE HANDLE: The twisting feature of the EZ-Twist provides better control of your paint flow than the PaintStick. Durable handle holds 18 oz. of paint for less refilling and eliminates the need for a roller tray
- SHED-RESISTANT PAINT ROLLER COVERS: The improved, simple end caps hold the perforated, shed-resistant roller cover in place and are easy to remove for cleaning. Replacement roller covers available in perforated 3/8” and 3/4” naps
- WHEN YOU ARE DONE, CLEAN UP IS EASY: Simply push any remaining paint from the handle back into the paint can and flush the PaintStick EZ-Twist with water for easy clean up
- It comes with a twistable handle
- It comes with shed resistant roller covers
- It comes with an integrated extension pole
- It is adjustable to fit 8 inch and 4 inch roller covers
This roller comes with a thick wire that prevents the cover from slipping so you don’t have to worry about causing a mess while painting. It holds 18 0z. Of paint which saves you from frequent dipping. It comes with shed resistant roller covers which assure its durability. Also, it is easy to clean up through a simple wash.
- You are able to twist the handle to your preferred side while painting
- There is no cover slippage when using it
- Slippery pole may cause a mess
If you are in need of a roller that readily cones with an extended handle for easier reach to hard access areas to avoid using ladders frequently, you would love the HomeRight PaintStick EZ- Twist C800952 paint roller.
How to apply satin paint on your walls
Satin paint has a shiny effect on it and you can use them on your kitchen and bathroom walls. The advantage of satin paint is that doesn’t let dust, stains or dirt to stick onto it which makes it is easy for you to clean and scrub when this happens. On the negative side, when you do not properly apply satin paint on your kitchen and bathroom walls or any other walls around your house, it can highlight the imperfect parts of your wall that have cracks, patches or divots because of its glossy nature.
In this section, we will show you the steps you need to take when applying satin paint on your walls when you are choosing to use a roller.
Step one: Prepare the wall surface onto which you intend to paint
To begin the wall surface preparation process, you need to ensure that the room you are painting does not have furniture or any objects that would get in the way as you paint because sometimes the satin paint may spill and damage them.
Sometimes your wall may have cracks or nail holes that can make the satin paint crack or peel off when applied over them. You need to ensure that you have properly filled up the cracks and holes on your wall and afterwards sandpaper them in such a way that they do not cause dents while painting. When you prepare the surface properly, you are able to prevent paint failure which is the main thing that you need to avoid so that you are able to achieve a perfect finish.
Step two: Apply the primer onto your already prepared wall surface
When painting the walls in your house, you need to always ensure that you apply primer before the satin paint. This is crucial because primer is what lets the satin paint seamlessly stick onto your wall. Also, you need to pick out primer that matches satin paint and should also match the roller that you have purchased.
The primer that you apply needs to have an even finish and you should afterwards sand it so that it does not form bumps or peel off as you paint.
Step three: Apply satin paint over your primed wall surface
As we have discussed earlier, satin paint comes as either an oil based paint or an acrylic paint. The one that you choose to use should be properly mixed to the color of your choice and to a viscous solution so that you can easily apply it onto your wall.
When you are painting large areas, you can use 9inch or 18inch rollers to paint over your walls while when you are painting small areas and corners you can use 3inch or 4 inch rollers that can help you navigate easily. Generally, you need to ensure that you are using knot covers to make the finish way better.
When applying, you need to ensure that you have a paint tray unless the roller comes with its own reservoir. You can starts painting the section that is slightly further from your ceiling, wall edges and corners and then apply in a zigzag motion in a smooth way to avoid a buildup of thick paint over your wall. Once you are done with the whole wall, you can switch to the smaller roller and paint the hard to reach areas. After it has all dried, you can apply another coat of paint to get a bolder color on your wall.
Picking out the best roller and applying satin paint correctly over your wall surface is key to achieving a smooth and brilliant finish in your house. You should take time to research on which roller fits well with your satin paint and one that works efficiently.